Cherry Blossom Bucket List

Any of you who have been reading my ramblings (thank you for that) may know about my bucket list photo destination to Washington DC to capture the cherry blossoms. For the past, I believe now, five years I have made attempts to be at the right place at the right time to capture said cherry blossoms. They are delicate and their bloom time, depending on weather can be a small window.

I have been to late and to early, but not this year! This year my cherry blossom mission is checked off my photo bucket list. This isn't to say I won't try to see their splendor yet again, but I FINALLY can mark it off my list.

I began this year as usual. Monitoring closely the cherry blossom forums. Checking dates, looking at my work schedule and hoping, fingers crossed to be able to make it. I was excited to  hear of the peak dates being April 6th weekend as I was scheduled to be off work. My dreams were finally going to be realized.... then the weather turned and the peak bloom was shifted. I decided to plan a whirlwind trip of sorts. I left work early on Sunday, March 31st so I could be in DC photographing all day on the 1st of April and then heading back home that day.

I had no issues arriving that evening. I stayed with a friend and Monday morning we were up early. I would not be disappointed. We took an Uber into DC, which was much easier than driving in and parking. My photo day began with amazing light, great company, awesome food and a long trip back.

The trip home was an arduous one. I drove away from DC smiling inside, filled to the brim  with the beauty of the blossoms.

I was plagued on the way home by traffic, construction zones, car problems and an accident scene. I thought, dang it is April Fools Day. Was I a fool for making such a long trip in such a short time frame and was it all worth it?

About two hours from home my muffler decided to fall from my car. I called my mechanic (aka dad) and asked what to do. His advice was this; you have to find something to tie it up with, drive up onto the curb so you can get under your car and tie that muffler up. Fortunately I found someone with a cord (I'm still not certain where my bungees are that I carry) and I did just that.  I pulled up on the curb, slid under the car and tied that muffler up. It was the longest, loudest two hour drive of my life.

All in all I had a wonderful time in DC and finally captured the blossoms. Now here's some of my favorite photos. Enjoy!









Some of the areas looked like mythical places. I thought I might see a unicorn!



I brought my lens ball and had some fun playing around with reflections.











Artists were out even on the cold day to paint!

Lost slipper...

Beautiful sunrise!
Follow me on Facebook
Connect with me on Instagram
Check out my Fine Art Photography

Cherry Blossom Watch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A softball State of mind

The Wait is over

Postcard Project