Have wings, will travel

It's no surprise (if you have read previous posts) that I am somewhat of a bird watcher. We have several feeders and many flowers that attract feathered friends, and sometimes furry friends (that I have yet to capture, but have been trying) who like to rip the feeders down.

I have been wanting to capture the hummingbird for quite some time. They amaze me. Hummingbirds are so small and so quick, they are such a joy to watch flit around.

One afternoon I noticed a pair of these fantastic creatures coming and going from the feeder. I grabbed my Pentax K30 with my zoom lens and headed out to sit on the porch and wait. I didn't have to wait to long for the beautiful colored bird to come back.

Shooting was a challenge, as I knew it would be. Those hummers are quick. Setting up the shot and getting the right settings took a bit for me. Did I want to stop the wings in action or did I want them to look in motion? Focusing was tricky as they move so quickly. There were some articles I looked at in the past for tips. B&H and DPS are a couple of my go to sources for photo tech information on any subject.

If you have the chance you should take some time to watch hummingbirds!





This Junco was watching me watch the hummingbirds.






PBS video of hummingbirds WSKG
Tips from The National Wildlife Federation
More on hummingbirds
Junco info
Aerodynamic wings
Attract hummers to your yard

follow me on Facebook
Visit my Fine Art America page

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A softball State of mind

The Wait is over

Postcard Project